Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Don Imus vs. Rutgers Team


I didn't plan on posting for a couple of days, but I thought you might like to read a comment I contributed to the CBS News online website concerning the remarks radio host Don Imus made about the predominantly-black, all-women college basketball team at Rutgers:

"Once again the American public has been skillfully diverted, whether intentionally or unintentionally, from the "real" pressing issues of this nation; the blatant abuse of the justice system by the attorney general, the tens of thousands of people that have taken to the streets over the weekend in an effort to let us know they do not want us in their nation, and the impass between Congress and the President that appears to worsen daily. Both CBS and NBC devoted 10min of their airtime (on the webcast at least) to Imus vs. the Rutgers women's basketball team. His remarks were "despicable" to just about everyone but himself. Take whatever measures against him that he desires. But don't take the only sources of "credible" news in America today and devote that much time to an issue that should be a "no-brainer". There are federal laws against what can and can't be said over the airwaves. Let's begin to use those laws to punish the foul-mouthed. Imus can say he sorry all he wants but he's not going to change, not at his age. My grandmother use to say "you can take the corn out of the country but you can't take the country out of the corn". She has been dead for nearly 30 years, but her saying still holds true today!"

Here's some poems to read, while you consider that:


Self-Portrait Wearing An Aurora Borealis

She likes to watch the stars shining in the past.

I prefer the moments that don't exist yet or any number greater
than 5. My favorite color is nimbus with the faint hue of Aurora
Borealis smeared along the soles of its shoes. I like reality only
when the siren is on and then it has to be an actual emergency.
You see, as far as I'm concerned, words have always had a way
of stretching themselves out on a hospital gurney just to get some
attention. And they have no medical insurance. I suspect the day
will come when I can place my hand in the flame and feel nothing.
I also strongly believe that if the bullet in my brain is removed too
soon it could cause worse damage. But I'm open to suggestions.


Advice To The Hard-Of-Healing

"I know forgiveness is never freely offered but
I was wondering if I could borrow some from
you, just until I get paid on Friday", she mutters,
as if she doesn't want the world to hear it. While
I consider her request we perform brain surgery
on each other. I use a mirror from the bathroom
and tilt it so sunlight reflects off the question of how
we might start over again."

And by the time we're done we have to admit that
long silences need affection too or is it that the words
simply arrive too late to fill-in all the blank spaces.


Previously published at: www.main.nc.us/wiresandwich
Copyright 2007 by Maurice Oliver. All Rights Reserved.
Visit my e-zine at: http://www.concelebratory.blogspot.com/
And music blog at: http://www.medleymakers.blogspot.com/

No comments: